We can offer an assessment for alternative placement in:
- Independent Living
- Group Homes
- Assisted Living Facilities
- Long-term Care Facilities
- Skilled Nursing Facilities
- Continuing Care Retirement Communities
Assessments for alternative placement are commonly conducted when an individual is no longer able to safely reside in their private residence. They may be residing in a single family home, apartment or condo, and/or even with their loved ones. Additionally, the costs to remain at home may be too high.
Alternative placement may be important for the following reasons:
- An individual is beginning to demonstrate cognitive impairment. Their safety-awareness, insight, and capacity for decision making is impaired and the degree of assistance they require to conduct their activities of daily living or instrumental activities of daily living cannot be safely provided or afforded in the home setting. An individual may show signs of wandering or exit-seeking behavior that present a risk for the individual to remain within the home setting.
- An individual might be functionally impaired and they are unable to afford the costs of the necessary home modifications needed to make their residence safe, or unable to pay for private duty aide services.
- Sometimes the risks simply outweigh the benefits for an individual to remain at home. If an individual’s loved ones are not close enough geographically to provide assistance, if their full time job(s), caring for their immediate family members restrict their ability to assist with their loved one’s care, alternative placement may be suggested.
Many individuals are choosing to move into senior residential settings such as Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRC) before any of these issues even become a factor. A “baby boomer” entering into his/her golden years may wish to move into an independent living facility within a CCRC with the goal to gradually transition to assisted living, and then long-term care/skilled nursing, as determined appropriate or necessary. An extensive amount of amenities are typically offered and provided within the various senior residential settings, which is comforting to many. Elder Care Consultants can educate you on senior residential settings or assist in identifying appropriate CCRCs.